Swedish Cleantech Innovations
In this section you can read more about the disruptive innovations and the Swedish companies behind them
- Detects, analyzes and categorizes all incidents in the power grid, thereby enabling prevention of outages
- Installed in the substation, dAnalyzer monitors the entire grid from one point
- dAnalyzer works in all types of networks; overhead lines, cables as well as mixed, and together with substation equipment of all makes and age
- dAnalyzer also monitors the power quality without additional hardware
- dAnalyzer is a highly cost-efficient scalable solution designed for one to many substations
- dAnalyzer provides an effective tool for fault investigation, shortening the time for root-cause analysis substantially
- Immediate reduction of operational expenditure, from improved fault identification
- Management overview for capital expenditure optimization and prioritizing grid investments
- Enables prevention of power outages
- Unique operational tool for momentary incident detection and analysis, in addition gives management overview for CAPEX optimization and prioritizing grid investments
- Provides effective fault investigation enabling root-cause analysis leading to shorter outage periods
- Ellevio AB
- Kraftringen Energi AB
- Dala Energi AB
- Bioprocess Control brings to market analytical gas volume and flow instruments that allow for more efficient, reliable and high-quality analysis, leading to significant reductions in time and labour.
- With smart analytical tools from Bioprocess Control mean people can work “smarter”, allowing for more frequent analyses with a reduced workload, producing data that is rich in quality and quantity. The more frequent analysis leads to an improved understanding and control of control of feedstock as well as the biological behaviour of biogas digesters operations – allowing for feedstock and biological process optimisation.
- Bioprocess Control invests in innovation and the development of smart instruments, ensure the highest product quality throughout our product portfolio, and focus on being service minded and always meeting the needs of our customers.
- Fill a GAP on the market
- Make things easily measurable
- It’s a really good deal, when it starts scaling
- Saint Gobain Sweden, Tomas Pühringer
- L E Lundbergs Fastigheter AB, Lisa Lundh
- Lejonfastigheter AB, Anton Sedin
- Akademiska Hus, Karl Karlsson
- Well proven concept with over 3500 unique installations in 12 different countries
- Saving potential of up to 80% of TCO vs. traditional EV charging installations
- Prepare for future installations when other digging related work is done
- Crash proof, maintenance lean concept
- Östfold Fylkeskommune Norway in their EV infrastructure tender 2014
- Ionity Gmbh for their Nordic HPC charger roll out programme
- Fortum Charge & Drive
- DEFA AS
- Make your high voltage grid truly safe and reliable with the Ground Fault Neutralizer power line protection system.
- Installed in the substation the GFN protects the entire grid from one point.
- The GFN works in overhead grids, cable grids as well as mixed grids.
- The GFN is the world’s most sensitive protection systems (sees the faults where traditional protection does not).
- The GFN is the worlds fastest protection system (traditional protection cannot be faster than 100ms, ignition occurs after 85ms, the GFN neutralizes the fault within 60ms).
- The GFN handles fault without cutting power to the end users (enabling the valuable energy to reach the consumers without interruption and thereby securing full energy efficiency).
- World leading proven technology
- More than 30 years of experience of power line protection
- Strong team with long international experience
- Proven technology
- ectogrid™ enables the transition from fossil free heating and cooling to renewable
- ectogrid™ increases efficiency by balancing heating, cooling and electric energy flows
- ectogrid™ is a highly scalable solution designed for licensing by any energy company
- Medicon Village
- ESS (European Spallation Source) Campus chooses ectogrid™ for its research facility
- Reduce fossil CO2 emissions from high quality heat generation
- Reduce dependency on volatile global prices for fossil fuels
- Enable fossil free production
- Industrial size demo plan in Piteå, Sweden
- Agreement with one of the world’s largest tissue manufacturers
- Low operating cost. Up to 95% of energy recovery (150 kWh/ton water evaporation)
- No air emission, fire or explosion risk
- Compact (small footprint) and durable design (first dryer built in 1979 is still operational)
- Stalowa Wola power plant (CHP plant conversion from coal to Biomass)
- Sedamyl S.p.A for drying of DDGS for animal feed
- Rockhammar Bruk AB for drying of paper pulp
- Gryaab AB for drying of municipal sewage sludge
- User defined air quality*
- Real time monitoring of the indoor climate
- Automated ventilation based on current conditions
- Real time optimization of the ventilation system based on sensor readings
- Energy savings of 25-50%
- Save Energy
- Reduce Costs
- Breathe Good Air
- It reduces environmental impact – saves 100% daily cleaning water, lowers ammonia emissions by 95% and can reduce energy consumption up to 50%
- We can improve farmer profitability by lowering operational costs and increasing production results by e.g. 30% increased growth rate
- Our technology enhances animal welfare, food safety and lowers antibiotic usage
- Improved energy efficiency and lower maintenance costs for property owners
- Improved indoor comfort and productivity for tenants
- Greater architectural freedom for architects and developers
- We have the world’s best system for real-time measuring of driving performance in terms of energy-efficiency and traffic-safety
- Our solution helps consumers drive safer, have a smaller effect on the environment, increase fuel efficiency and better understand their driving
- Traditional companies use new technology to simplify the way they now do things. We use new technology to challenge the way everything is now done
- Moderna Försäkringar
- Holmgrens Bil
- Word Wildlife Fund, WWF Sweden
- Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FiA)
- Selective separation of heavy metals, enabling separation below regulatory limits
- Enabling closing the loop in circular economy
- Recycling heavy metals from waste streams, and putting them back into original manufacturing streams.
- Replacing or complementing original production processes, to remove impurities or to enhance production efficiency
- Minimizing transportation of secondary waste, lime, chemicals and lowering consumption of energy
- A system easily up-gradable for new requirements via a chemical upgrade of the extraction chemicals
- Innovative and disruptive technology
- Partner building business model, we won’t sell and leave. Our model is a service model
- Solving problems for energy and mining sector, focus on dissolved heavy metals, a technology unlike any technology today
- Ragn-Sells AB
- Agnico Eagle
- LVV (Lidköpings VärmeVerk)
- Exeger is the only company in the world that can seamlessly integrate solar cells in consumer electronic products
- Exeger has the largest factory in the world for printed solar cells
- The market potential is endless as Exeger can turn virtually any surface into a solar cell, both indoor and outdoor
- Reduced oil consumption and cost: up to 90%
- Reduced CO2 footprint – one regenerated litre of oil saves one kg CO2!
- Increased productivity and safeguard of industrial operations
- Alfa laval
- Ragn-Sells (Sweden’s no 1 recycling company)
- Low Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) through high efficiency and low maintenance cost
- Modular design which is easily scalable from 150kW to 50MW and beyond
- The system comes as a complete product that can be connected to any heat source
- High efficiency at lost cost
- Easy to integrate for today’s solar manufacturers
- Ultra-stable, aesthetically beautiful solar systems
- The only DIY system for water based heating system optimisation
- Saves energy with increased comfort level with intelligent ECO-drive of heating
- Enables demand side management without compromising on comfort or productivity
- Customer dT maximization while maintaining a minimal peak load
- Upplands Energi
- Sandviken Energi
Today’s power grid is facing new demands and challenges, and a reliable and resilient power grid is the cornerstone of a sustainable society. By analyzing all incidents in the power grid, as well as the power quality, dAnalyzer provides a unique, smart-grid solution that enables utility companies to prevent electricity outages, to lower operational costs and to make investments where they are most useful.
Bioprocess Control is a market leader in the area of low gas volume and flow analytical instruments for biotechnology related applications. The company was founded in 2006 and today brings to market nearly 20 years of industry leading research and product development in the area of smart analytical instruments. Bioprocess Control currently has customers in over 60 countries and regions around the world with more added every year.
Today, Bioprocess Control’s portfolio include, among other things, their two flagship products: the Automatic Methane Potential Test System (AMPTS), which has become the preferred analytical instrument for conducting various anaerobic batch fermentation tests, as well as the Gas Endeavour; a novel analytical platform for bacteria respiration analysis and biological batch fermentation assays in both anaerobic and aerobic conditions.
Providing a plethora of benefits, these automated analytical devices galvanise efficient, cost-effective operations, due to the reduction in time and labor. Extremely user-friendly and accessible remotely, the meticulously collected data can be reached whenever it is required. Moreover, these automated analytical devices provide standardized measurements, data and reports, delivering clear, comparable information on which evidence-based decisions can be made.
Bioprocess Control provides more than analytical tools; we transfer know-how too and with the value we add through our expertise in the biogas field and application of ICA (instrumentation control and automation) on various fermentation processes. Our technical products are underpinned by our expert team who are friendly, approachable and have a genuine desire to help. Their professional backgrounds and direct involvement with the products mean they can always address customers’ enquiries, their commitment and expertise go far beyond a typical business exchange.
Why Bioprocess Control?
Big Ox Energy, Environmental Energy Capital LLC, Novozymes US, US National Poultry Research Center, North Carolina A&T Sate University, RIT Golisano Institute for Sustainability, Digester Doc LLC, Clarkson University, University of Wisconsin, Biodico Inc., Ecolab USA Inc., Arizona State University, and many more…
InviSense is a company started in 2013 by Acreo, in 2015 Anders Friberg and Björn Garplind became majority owners of the shares. We have 2 patents so far and our product is, as far as we know, totally unique. It makes it possible to measure moisture in places where it is needed, but hard or impossible to do without destroying the surface and sometimes the protective layer.
InviSense’s offer is based on research at Linköping University, RISE Acreo and Printed Electronic Arena. The offer consists of three components – the ultrathin moisture sensor, the scanner to monitor the sensor, and the cloud where you store all the measurement data. We sell the sensors and scanner and offer a subscription of our cloud services.
Unimi Solutions AB was founded in 2010, addressing the lack of standardisation in outdoor EV charging station installations. Now with over 3500 unique installations in 12 different countries, the Unimi-1base patented concept is perceived as best practise for installations requiring any type of anchoring in the ground.
We offer a universal foundation for installation of outdoor charging stations. Ground work related costs is the single largest cost driver when installing outdoor charging stations, oftentimes constituting of well over 50% of the total investment. To minimize ground related costs over time is thus extremely important. With the Unimi-1base concept, charging infrastructure can be rolled out future proof, scalable and maintenance lean, making the saving potential as much as up to 80% vs. installations with traditional foundations.
Why Unimi Solutions?
Swedish Neutral offers a new generation of power line protection for the new normal.
The ongoing climate crisis puts entirely new demands on power line protection, traditional protection systems are no longer sufficient to prevent catastrophic wildfires caused by power lines, the GFN fulfils all benchmarks for modern protection; world leading speed, world leading detection sensitivity and all this without cutting power to the end users.
Why Swedish Neutral?
Raybased has developed an open wireless platform for advanced building automation. The system makes it possible to design applications that control and optimize building functions, such as heating, ventilation, lighting, and security.
More information will follow shortly.
In modern cities there are enough thermal energy flows generated by human activity to provide the base for both heating and cooling. By connecting buildings with different needs and balancing residual thermal energy flows between them, ectogrid™ effectively uses and reuses all available thermal energy and makes it possible to decrease both pollution and the energy consumption in a city. This is a revolution that will help us fight climate change and transform the energy market.
Today, our energy systems are designed to do only one thing at a time. But it’s possible to build a much more efficient system by taking an integrated approach. A building with a need for heating can deliver a cooled energy flow to another and vice versa. ectogrid™ connects these thermal energy flows and lets buildings benefit from each other. By also integrating the electric energy flow further efficiencies and flexibility is enabled.
For the transition from fossil fuel based energy systems ectogrid™ provides several benefits. The balancing of heating and cooling demand improves energy efficiency. One thermal grid can be used for several purposes, heating and cooling as well as storage and flexibility. Easy integration with existing energy infrastructures reduces investment hurdles. Thermal flexibility makes room for more intermittent renewable energy. Optimized energy flow, storage and operations is empowered by ectocloud™, the cloud based self-learning control system.
One of the major unsolved obstacles in making industrial processes fossil free is creating high quality process heat. To dry tissue paper, firing ceramics, produce glass, hardening powder coating, heat treat metals, melt aluminium, dry grains, roast coffee etc. fossil gases such as propane (LPG), natural gas (NG/LNG) etc., has been the only cost-efficient and reliable option that can secure the required product quality.
Meva Energy’s gasification technology enables to produce renewable gas, at site, from a variety of local residues, including fine fraction biomass such as sawdust, woodfiber and agricultural residues, that fulfils the requirements on process heat, such as low particles, stable heating value, no odour etc. This with a lower price than fossil alternatives and without the associated price fluctuations.
Meva Energy provides turnkey module based pre-fabricated gasification units with capacity of producing 3,5MW gas from biomass residues.
Another highly topical challenge is air pollution. Unfortunately, even bioenergy, such as solid fuel fired boilers, contributes to dust/particles which create a health problem. Here Meva Energy’s gasification units could supply a combined heat and power solution with very low dust/particle levels. Adding a genset to the gasification units and the gas could instead be used to produce 1,2MW electricity and 2,4MW heat.
Why Meva Energy?
Drying can be one of the most energy demanding stages which it needn’t be. With Swedish Exergy up to 95% of the energy can be recovered and used in other processes or power/heat generation.
Swedish Exergy has been part of engineering solutions from pilot scale to building dryer for the world’s largest bio-pellet plant at the time. By converting waste to energy we together with our clients aim to reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible and achieve a circular economy.
Conserving energy increases profitability. Swedish Exergy offers dryers and evaporators that maximize usage of the input energy while minimizing losses.
As an example: Exergy Superheated Steam Dryer (ExergyPSSD®) can recover up to 95% of the energy. This energy conservation as well as few rotating parts results in very low operating costs.
The cost of expensive insurance policy is reduced and ATEX certification is eliminated as there is no fire or explosion risk. The ExergyPSSD® can be built anywhere including within city limits as there is no emission to atmosphere from the dryer.
The product is sterilized and dried within 10-15 seconds. The dryers and evaporators operate continuously 24/7 and can be integrated into the clients existing system.
Why Swedish Exergy?
At Sally R we merge standard ventilation solutions with space technology. Today, buildings are responsible for 1/3 of the global energy consumption. At the same 92% of all people breathe unhealthy air. We develop solutions that decrease the energy consumption of buildings while improving air quality and reducing the operating expenditures of real estate.
An easy to install technology that upgrades the ventilation system of buildings
* Temperature (C), humidity (RH), particulate matter (PM), harmful gases (VOC’s)
Why Sally R?
The agricultural sector is facing major environmental challenges today. Moving Floor is a world leading cleantech solution for sustainable farming. The company provides automatic cleaning for the pig and dairy sector. Moving Floor provides a clean environment for the animals that keeps them healthy which reduces the use of antibiotics, save water and improves farmer profitability. Moving Floor can reduce energy consumption on the farm and contribute to efficient production of renewable energy.
Moving Floor Concept is the only system world-wide to provide automatic cleaning for the animals’ living area with its’ unique patented technology. By cleaning out 15 times more often than conventional farm systems, the hygiene in the pen is significantly improved. On over 100 commercial farms automatic cleaning has shown an effect on; improved animal welfare, lower antibiotic usage and improved farmer profitability.
The floors are modules consisting of endless belts that rotate in programmed intervals in a slow pace that do not affect the animals. While rotating the belts are scraped off mechanically without adding water. As the modules are constructed on legs the installation- and financing possibilities are flexible. Installations can be performed indoor/outdoor in both new as well as existing barns of any farm size ranging from small- to large scale farms. The floors are energy efficient and can be driven by solar cells. Moving Floor can also contribute to increased production of renewable energy e.g. bio gas. Moving Floor is the new industry standard for sustainable agriculture.
Why Moving Floor?
Today more than 100 commercial farms use Moving floor’s technology where MOST OF the farms are located in northern europe. the first installations in china and canada were made in 2017. moving floor also has research collaboration with 8 universities in Europe and Asia. In china, Moving Floor is collaborating with China Agricultural University.
ChromoGenics AB was founded in 2003 following almost twenty years of research through a spin-off from the Ångström Laboratory at Uppsala University. ChromoGenics is a leader in dynamic glass with controllable heat and light transmission. The company’s unique electrochromic technology, ConverLight™, provides sustainable solar control with increased indoor comfort and energy efficiency. The company is listed on Nasdaq First North since March 23, 2017.
We make buildings more attractive! Our dynamic glass offers property owners, architects, construction companies and players in the glass industry cost-efficient solar protection. Our product, ConverLight™, improves energy efficiency with up to 50 percent of a commercial building’s energy consumption for cooling. In addition, indoor comfort and architectural freedom of buildings are significantly improved. ConverLight™ also improves cost efficiency in that it requires lower maintenance costs compared to traditional external solar protection, which becomes faded, is worn down by the wind and must be regularly replaced. Our technology and business model facilitate efficient and sustainable deliveries around the world, as our strategy is to work with different glass manufacturers in each local geographic market. ChromoGenics believes that the dynamic glass segment (windows, facades, ceilings) in commercial properties and service properties (schools, health carefacilities etc) demonstrate the greatest potential and ability to generate growth and profitability. N-tech research has forecasted that the market for smart glass containing electrochromic technology will grow from 200 MUSD to 8 BUSD over the next 10 years.
We have already begun production and sales of our dynamic ConverLight™ glass in the Nordic market. The glass has been installed in both Sweden and Norway. We have recently announced two larger orders for ConverLight™ deliverables, namely to Fagebe’s project Grand Central Sundbyberg in Stockholm and to Atrium Ljungberg’s project in Gränbystaden in Uppsala.
We are here to disrupt the auto insurance world because people shouldn’t pay for anything they don’t use. That’s why we offer a ”Pay as you drive” model with individualized premiums per kilometers, enabled by our core tech that asses risk in real-time and with advanced information. We call it Enerfy and we help and protect our customers.
We have developed an entirely new approach to analyzing Big Data, and with over a decade of both R&D and practical experience, we now have the world’s best system for real-time measuring of driving performance in terms of energy-efficiency and traffic-safety – Enerfy.
Enerfy’s effects have been substantial. Enerfy has helped consumers drive safer, have a smaller effect on the environment, increase fuel efficiency, and last but not least better understand their car and their driving. The solution is built on a normal OBD-reader, your own smartphone and a cloud solution. The secret to Enerfy’s success lies in an algorithm of our own design. This algorithm is so advanced that it helps you not only with practical services, but also generates exact data that creates a unique, digital driver “DNA” for every user. Our service on the platform is a car insurance based on two principles. The first principle is that you only pay when you actually use your car. The second principle is that you can lower your premium when you drive focused and safely.
Chromafora is a hydro treatment and a hydro metallurgical company.
Heavy metals are present in many streams, and usually a big problem. The purification today is usually like using a fishnet trying to catch the dissolved heavy metals in a solution. The problem with these methods are that they produce a lot of secondary waste that needs to be moved around and treated. The solution is to “fish” for only the metals of interest in each stream.
EXEGER develops and produces third generation solar cells (dye-sensitized solar cells, “DSC”). The Company uses screen printing and has the world’s largest DSC production plant located in Stockholm city centre, Sweden. Exeger´s solar cell works indoor and outdoor and is currently the world’s best indoor solar cell. Exeger´s solar cells that can be seamlessly integrated into any product from consumer electronics to building integrated and building applied photovoltaics as well as automobile integrated photovoltaics.
Exeger´s unique solar cell can be seamlessly integrated onto virtually any surface as it is flexible, and can be produced in different colours, shapes and with different patterns. The cell is also not sensitive towards the angle of the incoming light and works well in indirect and diffusive light.
Possible applications are consumer electronics such as self-charging tablets, e-readers, laptops and smart watches. Charging of consumer elctronics was in 2013 as large as 13% of all household electricity in the USA. Internet of Things is also a huge market with products like sensors, fire detectors, smart locks etc.
Later on Exeger will also focus on Building Integrated Photovoltaics, that is, solar cells integrated in a façade or on the roof of a building. The cells can also be used to provide electricity for trucks, busses and cars where the cell can be applied to many areas of the vehicle as it is flexible and light weight. Military applications such as camouflage nets and tents is another large application area.
Exeger is at the moment building prototypes together with some of the world’s largest producers of tablets and e-readers. The company has won numerous awards and prestigious competitions.
Recondoil supplies equipment that enables sustainable use of oil. Either as truly circular use of industrial oils, or as recycling of slop oil. This is made possible by DST TM, short for Double Separation Technology. DST TM combines chemical and mechanical separation in a unique break-through technology. It separates out particles to nano size and gives a super clean oil that can be used over and over again.
Recondoil has two business areas. We offer Turn Key Facilities for the sustainable use of oil under the ROCCO brand. Both business areas use DST TM.
ROCCO Industrial is aimed at regenerating industrial oils such as pilger oil, honing oil, hydraulic oil, transformer oil, transmission oil etc. The aim is circular use of oil. ROCCO Industrial is a turnkey facility that comes in different configurations and sizes.
Potential Industries include: mining-, pulp and paper-, automotive-, energy production and metallurgical industries.
ROCCO Slop is also offered as a turnkey facility. It handles slop oil of different kinds: marine sludge, production rejects and oil ponds. The aim is to transform what is at the outset toxic waste into oil of a quality that has commercial value. Either as high-quality energy recovery, or oil aimed re-refining industries. Possible customers of ROCCO Slop might be waste management companies, cement producers and major ports. All facilities are equipped with high quality sensors and control systems from Siemens.
For sustainable use of oil
50% of all energy generated from industrial processes, power stations and transportation ends up as waste heat, polluting our skies and contaminating the sea. Climeon is the world leader in converting low temperature waste heat into electricity. Climeon also utilizes geothermal heat to produce sustainable electricity with the earth’s own resources. Up to 30% of the world’s electricity production may come from the renewable baseload Heat Power in the future..
By exploiting the temperature difference between hot and cold water (or heat exchange of gas or steam with hot water), the Climeon Heat Power system converts waste heat into clean electricity.
The Climeon system combines high efficiency and low overall cost, driving significant savings in fuel and electricity costs, to create a powerful business case for the utilization of waste heat. Electricity production from low temperature waste heat has been problematic in the past, with traditional solutions failing to achieve sufficient efficiency to be economically viable. Climeon is unique having found a way to economically utilize waste heat at temperatures as low as 70 °C. The technology operates at low pressure levels in comparison to traditional heat power solutions. For example, Organic Rankine Cycles (ORC) which operate at much higher pressure levels, are both larger in size and less efficient at the low temperatures where the bulk of waste heat is found. Climeon’s low pressure levels allow delivery of up to 50% higher efficiencies than other solutions on the market, while creating a smaller CO2 footprint from manufacturing.
Swedish advanced materials start-up Sol Voltaics provides next-generation solar nanotechnology solutions that can significantly enhance the efficiency and power output of solar panels at prices competitive to crystalline silicon.
Sol Voltaics’ revolutionary SolFilm™ offers solar module manufacturers a low-cost, drop-in solution to boost conventional PV module efficiencies by 50% via ultra-high efficiency tandem modules. Alternatively, if used alone, SolFilm can be a cost winning high efficiency solution.
SolFilm is a lightweight photonic film consisting of high-efficiency GaAs PV nanowires. Manufactured through our patented Aerotaxy® process – in which we cost-effectively produce high volumes of GaAs nanowires – SolFilm converts high energy sunlight directly into power and is transparent for infra-red light. The infra-red light can be converted into power by an underlying CIGS or silicon cell in a stacked configuration, enabling a far greater power conversion efficiency than found in current leading edge conventional modules.
A robust solution, SolFilm has been designed for straightforward module integration. Whether used alone or in a stacked scenario this low-cost approach to manufacturing high-efficiency solar panels helps reduce the levelized cost of energy for module manufacturers and end-users.
SolFilm also positively transforms the aesthetic of solar modules, providing a beautiful, uniform black surface.
WHY SOL VOLTAICS?
Swedish Energy Agency/Energimyndigheten
Ngenic creates a platform for the smart home and has chosen to start the revolution with intelligent control of indoor climate.
The company was founded in Uppsala in 2010 and today there is also a Stockholm office. Ngenic Tune is a “smart thermostat” for single family homes with water based heating. It saves energy, improves comfort and gives the user control via an app. The possibilities are enormous.
Modern control algorithms and sensor systems allow better adoption to individual home characteristics and better comfort, as well as modern control with a connected home. Ngenic started with that in mind and have a lead position in the single family home segment in the Nordics. Within district heating we are the only system on the market today with proven benefits both for end user as well as district energy provider.